ReachFar with Reading – Middle School Program
Welcome to ReachFar with Reading Middle School Program
Games For Grades Campaign
The ReachFar with Reading MIDDLE SCHOOL PROGRAM is a FREE Literacy initiative that is available to MINORITY MALES ages 11-13 who are enrolled in Thomas Jefferson Middle School in Arlington, VA. The ReachFar Foundation in partnership with the Dynamic Leadership of TJ Middle School have a goal to help minority males succeed by promoting a solid foundation and love for reading. Young men will participate in weekly lunch and after school group sessions where they will do the following:
- LISTEN to a short presentations of the importance and benefits of reading. Community leaders, staff, and even other youth will present/mentor based on their personal successes that have resulted from being a good reader.
- LEARN how to develop their reading and comprehension skills through participating in weekly group reading projects of age and grade appropriate books that youth have the opportunity to select. During their small focus group sessions, aloud reading, discussion and journaling will help the youth connect with the reading material as well as chronicle their experiences and growth with others. All youth will receive a personalized journal to record their ideas and experience. These very personal souvenirs will be a keep sake for life!
- LIVE what they learn during the ReachFar with Reading program by participating in the “Reading Road Map” activity which reinforces skills learned while at home. Youth who completes their Reading Road Map receive a $15 Barnes & Noble Gift Card and a FREE PASS to the ReachFar Game Truck at the end of the session! Where they will be able to enjoy over 100 video games.
The program hosts small groups of 6 youth at a time. The sessions are held every Wednesday for 5-Weeks and alternate between a catered lunch and after school sessions.
2018 Schedule is as follow:
- January 24, 2018-Game Truck
- February 7, 2018-African American Museum of History & Culture
- March 21, 2018-Capitol Hill Congress Visit
- March 31, 2018-Washington Wizards Game
- April 28, 2018-Student Enrichment Workshop
Location: All activities are held at Thomas Jefferson Middle School – 125 Old S. Glebe Road, Arlington, VA 22204
For more information contact: Kinite McCrae at email@example.com or Timothy Cotman at firstname.lastname@example.org
GET INVOLVED! We are looking for positive minority male mentors to speak to and with the young men, donations for food (Paissanos or Chick Fil A gift cards), Barnes & Noble gift certificates in $15 increments, small journals that the boys can write in, and/or a monetary donation to support any of these purchases. The Reachfar Foundation is a 501c3 non profit organization and your donations are tax deductible. If you wish to make a donation, please contact Kinite McCrae at email@example.com or call 703-566-9071 or you can visit the Donations page on this website.