ReachFar with Reading – Elementary Program
Welcome to ReachFar with Reading Program
The ReachFar with Reading ELEMENTARY PROGRAM is a FREE Literacy initiative that is available to youth ages 5-11. Our goal is to help young people succeed by promoting a solid foundation and love for reading. Youth participate in both large and small group activities where they do the following:
- LOOK at a short video that encourages reading as well as stimulates the imagination.
- LISTEN to a short presentation of the importance and benefits of of reading. Community leaders, staff, and even other youth will present based on their personal successes that have resulted from being a good reader.
- LEARN how to develop their reading, comprehension, and phonetic skills through age and grade appropriate activities during their small focus group sessions, aloud reading, and BONUS reading scavenger hunt game time.
- LIVE what they learn during the ReachFar with Reading program by participating in the “Reading Road Map” activity which reinforces skills learned while at home. Youth who completes their Reading Road Map receive awesome prizes at the end of the session!
The program hosts a total of 24 children. During the “Learn” Session, youth are separated into four different age groups with up to six youth in each group. Each group work directly with literacy coaches assigned to their group to ensure individualized attention.
2018 Schedule: 2nd and 4th Sat from 11:00am-1:00pm of the follow months:
- January and February 2018
- April and May 2018
- October and November 2018
Location: 716 S. Glebe Rd. Arlington, VA 22204 (Inside Arlington United Methodist Church)
For more information contact: Jasmine Holt